Forced eviction of IDPs
On 28 October 2017, seven houses of internally displaced persons of Kuruyange situated in the District of Rugazi were destroyed on the instructions of the Chief of District Mrs. Sylvie Nizigama. She argued, among other things, that the IDPs have hampered the activities of the health center owing to the fact that they live inside its premises. She said that the IDPs had to leave the place because most of them were given houses in the neighborhood. 34 other families were ordered to leave the site within two weeks.
Burundi Envoys for resumption of dialogue
On 31 October 2017, former President of Burkina Faso Michel Kafando met the Ombudsman of Burundi Hon. Edouard Nduwimana in Bujumbura. The two discussed about the dialogue, peace and reconciliation. Several sources say that Mr Kafando met the facilitation team in Dar es Salaam. During his visit to Burundi, Kafando discussed the reopening of the office of the high commissioner of human rights in Burundi.
It is also significant that around the same time Uganda’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Amb. Dr Adonia Ayebare met President Pierre Nkurunziza and Minister of Foreign Affairs Hon. Alain Aimé Nyamitwe in Bujumbura on 3 November 2017 bringing a message from the Mediator, President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni of Uganda.
UNHCR reassures refugees in Nduta camp
On 2 November 2017, the UNHCR Representative in Tanzania Mme Chansa Ruth Kapaya visited the Burundi refugee camp of Nduta. She came to engage refugees in response to alarming information about insecurity prevailing in the camp. She wanted to ensure that the UNHCR was aware of the situation and has so far engaged Tanzanian authorities and other partners to enhance security in the camps. She also ensured that those fearing to return will be protected, while encouraging those willing to voluntarily return to continue registering. She also announced that from December, the food ration will be improved. The reduction was done back in March 2017.
- On 28 October 2017, a dead body of an unidentified man was recovered near the FVS AMADE office in the District of Bururi;
- On 29 October 2017, a dead body of a teenager was recovered in Kibogoye in the District of Muyinga. The victim showed signs of rape;
- On 30 October 2017, Faustin Niyonkuru was killed in Nyabututsi in the District of Gitega;
- On 31 October, the dead body of Thierry Irakoze was recovered at Mpinga in the District of Mpinga Kayove;
- On 3 November 2017, the lifeless body of an unidentified person was recovered in Dogodogo river at the heigh of Mparambo hill in the District of Rugombo;
- On 4 November 2017, the dead body of Cimpaye was recovered in Nyabututsi in the District of Gitega
Arbitrary arrests and abductions
- On 2 November 2017, two Pro Rwasa FNL members, namely Claude Niyonkuru and Gapapa Sinarinzi were arrested in Mugoboka and taken to an unknown location;
- On 2 November 2017, three FNL members were arrested in Nzozi and Rushwahunga in the District of Bweru;
- On 3 November 2017, former director general of the national radio television broadcast RTNB, Jerome Nzokirantevye was arrested under charges of attempt to foil public safety;
- On 3 November 2017, three Pro Rwasa FNL members were arrested in Ruyigi;
- On 4 November 2017, two Imbonerakure leaders in the neighborhood of Carama namely Nyambere Daniel aka Mubumbe and Jean Claude Nahimana aka Masope were arrested in Carama by Commender Guillaume Magorwa and detained to unknown destination;
- On 5 November 2017, seventeen persons were arrested in Shombo while going to Tanzania.