Congo invites Nkurunziza for ICGLR summit
The Congolese Minister of Home affairs, Jean Claude Gakosso was in Bujumbura last week to invite President Pierre Nkurunziza to attend the 8th ICGLR Summit scheduled 19 October 2017 in Brazaville. Last month, the Chairperson of the Commission of the African Union (AU), Moussa Faki Mahamat, Â appointed Mr. Basile Ikouebe of Congo, as the AU Special Representative for the Great Lakes Region and Head of the AU Liaison Office in Burundi
According to the press releaseon 17 September 2017 the appointment, his appointment comes at a time when the AU, in support of the efforts of the East African Community (EAC) is working towards a settlement of the crisis facing Burundi and ahead of the 19 October summit of the Regional Oversight Mechanism for the Peace, Security and Cooperation Framework to address the many challenges facing Great Lakes region.
It is only to be seen whether President Pierre Nkurunziza will attend. Since the breaking of the crisis two years back in Burundi, heÂ has never attended any international gathering.
Burundian rights defenders on spot
The spokesperson police in Burundi has accused Pacifique Nininahazwe and Pierre Claver Mbonimpa while addressing media as the worst criminals whose work is to tarnish the image of the country and mislead investigation. In reaction, the FOCODE released a statement aimed at refuting the allegations of the police spokesperson. FOCODE reiterated its commitment in documenting human rights abuses and challenged Burundi authorities to prove that any of the investigation conducted is wrong. FOCODE strongly condemned the criminalization and the stigmatization of human rights defenders involved in documenting serious human rights violations.
Arbitrary arrests, abduction and killings
Some of the cases of arbitrary arrests, abduction and killings reported over the report include:
- On 1 October 2017, an opposition UPRONA party member Seleus Nicoyitungira was arrested at Musagara in the District of Muramvya (center of the country)
- On 3 October 2017, a dead body of an unidentified person was recovered on Kigazi hill in the District of The victim had wounds all over his body
- On 3 October 2017, a Student at the University of Burundi, RÃ©my Ndayizeye was abducted for Bujumbura downtown
- On 4 October 2017, Emile was abducted from Ijenda and taken to an unknown destination
- On 4 October 2017, University of Burundi’s student Diom¨de Niyukuri was abducted, from Bujumbura and taken to an unknown destination
- On 4 October 2017, four (4) Congolese were arrested in Rumonge by the police
- On 6 October 2017, the dead body of Joseph Minyaruko was recovered in a plantation in Kibenga in the District of Gitaramuka
- On 6 October 2017, a police search was operated in Nyamugari and Shatanya 4 in the District of Gitega
 See http://www.peaceau.org/uploads/appointment-of-mr.-basile-ikouebe.pdf
 See DÃ©claration du FOCODE sur les accusations mensongÃ¨res du porte-parole de la police, https://www.focode.org/declaration-focode-accusations-mensongeres-porte-parole-de-police/
Download the update here